LCD displays are inefficient, so a display bright enough for outdoors would quickly drain the batteries. This problem has now been solved with a new type of display that provides a clear, highly readable display in any lighting conditions.
DescriptionThe Clover SunBook is a state-of-the-art netbook that uses a Pixel Qi LED backlit transflective LCD display. This allows you to use the SunBook anywhere from total darkness to direct sunlight, and greatly increases the battery life.
Download PDF Literature
- Use your SunBook anywhere; at work, in the office, at home, on your boat, or virtually anywhere. None of the limitations of an E-book reader or tablet PC.
- Turning off the display backlight cuts the power consumption substantially, providing battery life of 12 hrs. or more.
- Windows 7 OS runs all your Windows software.
- None of the limitations of an E-book reader or tablet PC.
- Turning off the backlight greatly reduces eyestrain & headaches.
- Ideal for anyone who wants or needs to work outdoors.
- Viewable in all lighting conditions, from direct sunlight to total darkness
- Nearly full sized keyboard
- 8 - 12 hour battery life
- Multi-touch touchpad
- 1024 x 600 resolution
- Anti-Reflective screen
- Matte screen and bezel
- No loss of brightness in dim light
- Backlight can be turned completely off
- Windows 7 OS
SunBook Review and Video
Here is a very thorough and detailed evaluation by RuggedPC Review that includes benchmarks, comparisons, photos, and video: http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/3_notebooks_clover_systems_sunbook.html
- You can view the video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_iI5IDEBhY&feature=player_embedded
You can see customer's reviews here:
- Field Research
- Field Sales & Service
- All Outdoor Working Environments
Direct Sun -- SunBook on the left
Stock netbook on right at maximum brightness.
| || |
| Daylilght -- SunBook on left|
Both PCs running on batteries with maximum brightness. Note that glossy screen on the right has prominent reflections of sky.
| Dim light -- SunBook on left. Both PCs running on batteries with maximum brightness. SunBook has no loss of brightness in transmission mode.|
The price of SunBook is $749 and includes free domestic shipping. This link will take you to www.cloversystems.com/SunBook.htm where you can place an order via PayPal or credit card.
How it works...In ordinary LCD displays, light is provided by a lamp behind the screen. Half of the PC’s power is consumed by the backlight. A reflective display, as typified by the Kindle and other E-book readers, has no backlight. The display is illuminated by ambient light so it uses very little power and is viewable in sunlight, but it cannot be viewed in the dark. The Clover SunBook uses a combination of both of these modes, so it is usable in every lighting condition. Both modes are active at the same time, so you can go seamlessly from sunlight to darkness with no loss of readability. Furthermore, there is no loss of brightness in dim lighting or darkness.
In daylight, the backlight can be turned off completely, cutting the power consumption in half and extending battery life. Reflective mode provides 1024 x 600 resolution in black & white.
SpecificationsProcessor Dual core Intel Atom N2600 1.6 GHz
Operating System Windows 7 Starter
Memory 2GB DDR3
Hard Drive 320 GB (optional SSD available)
Display Size 10.1"
Resolution 1024x600xRGB WSVGA 16:9
Brightness 165 nits typ (dark room)
235 nits (room lighting)
>1000 nits (outside, sunlight)
Backlight White LEDs
Media Card Reader SDHC, SD, SCXC
USB Ports 3 USB 2.0
LAN Ethernet and Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
Weight 3.0 lbs.
Webcam 0.3 MP
Battery 6-cell Li-Ion 55 Wh
Specifications are subject to change without notice